Karaganda region - the country's largest industrial region and a powerful industrial center!
The main branches of the economy:
- 46% of gross regional product
- Significant reserves of 3 ferrous metals, 29 non-ferrous, 2 precious, 84 kinds of minerals, as well as energy carriers
- The estimated copper resources are estimated at about 30 million tons (Zhezkazgan, Karaganda and Karkaraly ore regions), gold - 600-1000 tons, lead - 21 million tons, zinc - 23 million tons.
- Karaganda coal basin - the main supplier of coking coal for enterprises in Kazakhstan
- AO ArcelorMittal Temirtau produces 100% of pig iron and 90% of steel of the republic
- Copper refined MUK of the highest grade 99.99% is produced at the region’s plants.
- The chemical industry produces sulfuric acid, nitrogen fertilizers, explosives, etc.
- The coast of Lake Balkhash has all the conditions for the development of beach tourism
- On the basis of historical and cultural monuments (the mazars of Zhoshi Khan, Alash Khan, the ancient cities of Baskamyr, Ayakkamyr, rock paintings of Terekoulia, etc.), the development of ecological, historical, pilgrim and sightseeing tourism
For favorable conditions of work of enterprises in the Karaganda region there is a special economic zone "Saryarka" with a total area of 595 hectares.